Saturday 18 March 2017

What's in a Name?




The 5 Year Old has learnt at school that names have meanings.

Ah yes, I smile smugly, your name (protecting your blog-based anonymity) translates into something kick-ass and feminist, go me! You know, not that I checked beforehand, and 5 Year Old's Mum and 13 Year Old Sister have ones that mean things like "Princess" and "Pretty Flower", but let's take the wins where we accidentally later discover them.

"No, no, no," says 5 Year Old, not at all happy with being really called THAT. "My name actually means 'Bright Summer's Day.'"

"Oh yes?" I nod. "What about 5 Year Old's Mummy, what does that mean?"

"It means "It is sunny and everyone is smiling.'"

On reflection, this all seems nicer than the genuine meanings. And she didn't get a say when they were originally decided...

"And what does 5 Year Old's Daddy mean?" I pursue.

"'It is raining, and the rain is cold, and everyone is now grumpy.'"

Oh. On second thoughts....

No comments:

Post a Comment